[omniORB] Simple questions about orb->run(), orb->destroy() and omniINSPOA

Patrick Hubert hubert@discreet.com
Mon, 22 Oct 2001 10:12:22 -0400 (EDT)

Hello all,

Here are my questions:

1- Do I really need to call orb->run()? Is CORBA::ORB_init() sufficient to
   bootstrap all the necessary ORB elements?

   We already have a multithreaded environment, but I was hoping to avoid
   creating a thread only to do the 'orb->run()' call.

2- Is it really necessary to call orb->destroy()? Can we assume that upon
   exit the OS will tidy up everything?

   I have the strong suspicion that we really need to do that call, if
   only to properly destroy any POA hierarchy... With our code becoming
   more complex, our application was hanging in orb->shutdown()... The
   "easy" (and also very stupid) hack (and I mean that in the most
   offensive sense of the word) was to remove the call to
   shutdown()/destroy(). I'm currently trying to fix the problem, but in
   the mean time I avoid destroying the orb.

3- If the omniINSPOA did not already exist, is it possible to create a POA
   that would behave exactly like it (specifically for the human readable
   object key generation for objects).

   I'd like to build and abstraction layer over our ORB related code so
   that we could switch from different ORB implementations. Since we rely
   a lot on the omniINSPOA, we have to make sure that we can have similar
   functionality with other potential ORBs.

Thanks

 -Patrick

--
Patrick Hubert