[omniORB] project directory structure and Makefiles

Ian ian@vuurwerk.nl
Sat, 20 Oct 2001 10:12:10 +0200

On Fri, Oct 19, 2001 at 01:14:21PM -0700, Kevin Bailey wrote:
> > > From owner-omniorb-list@uk.research.att.com Fri Oct 19 09:31 CDT 2001

[snip]

> Trying to do automatic dependency calculation over multiple
> directories involving files which may not exist yet is very
> difficult. You might get somewhere by defining a top-level
> target which runs through and compiles all the IDL files. Then
> you have the "simple" case of doing dependency calculation on a
> bunch of normal files. But I think you will find that even after
> a lot of work, you still won't have something that you like.

That's exactly the problem I have been tackling, I am reasonably
proficient with gnu make, but when generated files come into play, I
am at a loss... omkdepend seems to work quite well in calculating
dependencies, but to have it span over multiple dirs... gives me the
shivers ;)

> I would suggest using makepp. It handles all that dependency
> calculation, multiple directory, nonsense by itself, it has a
> global view of your project so you don't have to worry about
> anything not getting built, and it does things in parallel. Best
> of all, it's GNU make compatible and you don't have to change
> your makefiles at all unless you want to simplify them. I can't
> recommend it highly enough especially for projects which span
> multiple directories and have some generated files which need to
> be dependency scanned (SNMP MIBs, yacc, etc.)
>
> http://lnc.usc.edu/~holt/makepp/

I will take a good look at that, thank you very much.

Ian.