[omniORB] project directory structure and Makefiles

Kevin Bailey ke-omniorb@retriever.dyndns.org
Fri, 19 Oct 2001 13:14:21 -0700

> > From owner-omniorb-list@uk.research.att.com Fri Oct 19 09:31 CDT 2001
> >
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I am new to CORBA and to this list. I want to write a simpke
> > application to learn about CORBA, but I want to do it in such a way
> > that I can scale up the "method" to larger projects. The problem I am
> > trying to solve is what is the best way to organize a project
> > directory to build a project with omniORB. It will have a client and a
> > server application. Also, I'm at a loss as in how to write the
> > Makefiles in such a way that the stubs are properly scanned for
> > dependencies with the implementation code. Could someone with a little
> > experience on omniORB projects enlighten me? I'd be very greatful. I
> > looked through comp.object.corba and searched through the archives,
> > but could not really find anything that could help me out.

Trying to do automatic dependency calculation over multiple
directories involving files which may not exist yet is very
difficult. You might get somewhere by defining a top-level
target which runs through and compiles all the IDL files. Then
you have the "simple" case of doing dependency calculation on a
bunch of normal files. But I think you will find that even after
a lot of work, you still won't have something that you like.

I would suggest using makepp. It handles all that dependency
calculation, multiple directory, nonsense by itself, it has a
global view of your project so you don't have to worry about
anything not getting built, and it does things in parallel. Best
of all, it's GNU make compatible and you don't have to change
your makefiles at all unless you want to simplify them. I can't
recommend it highly enough especially for projects which span
multiple directories and have some generated files which need to
be dependency scanned (SNMP MIBs, yacc, etc.)

http://lnc.usc.edu/~holt/makepp/