[omniORB] project directory structure and Makefiles

Richard Hardgrave hardgrav@ttd.teradyne.com
Fri, 19 Oct 2001 14:09:27 -0500 (CDT)

> From owner-omniorb-list@uk.research.att.com Fri Oct 19 09:31 CDT 2001
>
> Hello all,
>
> I am new to CORBA and to this list. I want to write a simpke
> application to learn about CORBA, but I want to do it in such a way
> that I can scale up the "method" to larger projects. The problem I am
> trying to solve is what is the best way to organize a project
> directory to build a project with omniORB. It will have a client and a
> server application. Also, I'm at a loss as in how to write the
> Makefiles in such a way that the stubs are properly scanned for
> dependencies with the implementation code. Could someone with a little
> experience on omniORB projects enlighten me? I'd be very greatful. I
> looked through comp.object.corba and searched through the archives,
> but could not really find anything that could help me out.

Just go to the $TOP/src/examples directory, like I did.  Pick one of
the examples (I chose echo) and clone another directory at the
same level, borrowing and editing dir.mk and all as you go.
I was not familiar with GNUmake, at the time, so I went to the GNU
site and downloaded the user's manual.  It helps!  Most of the
magic happens because of what's in the files in the $TOP/mk and
$TOP/mk/platforms directories.
Since, I've even been able to compile my application in our
ClearCase environment, so I feel very dangerous!   8^)

Good luck,

Richard