[omniORB] project directory structure and Makefiles

Ian ian@vuurwerk.nl
Fri, 19 Oct 2001 16:24:42 +0200

Hello all,

I am new to CORBA and to this list. I want to write a simpke
application to learn about CORBA, but I want to do it in such a way
that I can scale up the "method" to larger projects. The problem I am
trying to solve is what is the best way to organize a project
directory to build a project with omniORB. It will have a client and a
server application. Also, I'm at a loss as in how to write the
Makefiles in such a way that the stubs are properly scanned for
dependencies with the implementation code. Could someone with a little
experience on omniORB projects enlighten me? I'd be very greatful. I
looked through comp.object.corba and searched through the archives,
but could not really find anything that could help me out.

Another thing that I would like to mention is, while I compiled
omniORB at home on my SGI Indy with IRIX 6.2 (yes I know it's old, but
I love that box ;). I came accross an error which I managed to solve,
but ehm... not so elegantly. I can't find the line back... maybe it
was in a stub? Anyway, the line involved a call to
pthread_mutexattr_settype if I remember correctly, setting the mutex
type to PTHREAD_MUTEX_RECURSIVE. I am no expert on pthreads either,
and did a google for it. Turns out that to set this type is usually
not necessary. So I commented out the line. Everything seems to work,
any comments on this? (The problem was that IRIX 6.2 doesn't have the
function).

Thanks,

Ian.