[omniORB] exception (COMM_FAILURE?)

Jian Deng jdeng@kcco.com
Fri, 12 Oct 2001 13:06:03 -0500

Attila Pletyak wrote:

> What do you mean on dealing with the problem? Would you like to get the
> COMM_FAILURE earlier, not taking a few minutes? In this case you should
> set the timeout parameters for the calls in the ORB. By default there is
> no timeout. See the omniORB doc for more details.

> >we have a server talking to several clients at the rate of hundreds
> >records per second.  the problem comes when the network cable is broken,
> >or yanked out of one of the client machine, it takes a few minutes for
> >the server to get the exception (COMM_FAILURE ?) back from its call to
> >the client.  of course, the system is considered fall apart given the
> >rate of data.
> >
> >how can we deal with this?  many thanks in advance.
> >
> >- jd

you are right.  we do not want the server to hang on a broken cable for a
few minuts while there are streams of data records need to be dispatched.

thank you for pointing me to the right direction.  not being a corba guru, i
did what i can and added the two following lines to the server,

    omniORB::callTimeOutPeriod(omniORB::clientSide, 10);
    omniORB::callTimeOutPeriod(omniORB::serverSide, 10);

these seem to work when i yanked the network cable and put it back.  did i
do it right? or is there more to it?

- jd