[omniORB] Multiple times ORB_init

Thu, 11 Oct 2001 10:51:04 +0100

On Thursday 11 October, Brecht Vermeulen wrote:

> Is it legal to call multiple times CORBA::ORB_init in an application
> (e.g. in a Nameservice wrapper library, in a separate thread, in the
> main() ) (I didn't find directly anyhing in the archives) ? (and receive
> multiple references to the same ORB, so no different options are needed)

Provided you always use the same ORB identifier, the standard says
that ORB_init() will always return the same ORB. Some CORBA
implementations support multiple ORBs, obtained by giving different
ORB identifiers, but omniORB does not.

You should also be able to re-initialise the ORB after you have called
destroy(), but that doesn't work with omniORB 3. It does work with the
omniORB 4 pre-release.