[omniORB] Does omniORB run under VxWorks?

Haarek Ryeng Haarek.Ryeng@datarespons.no
Fri, 30 Nov 2001 10:03:06 +0100

You'll need to buy a Pthread lib for VxWorks, or purchase the AE version which comes with pthread support.
I haven't tried to port to VxWorks (yet), but I think porting OmniThreads will be the main obstacle (if you don't have pthreads support). I suspect that socket code should be supported by VxWorks, as
long as Berkley sockets are used.... The down side is that pthread support for VxWorks probably will cost you the same as porting Ominthreads yourself....
VxWorks uses the same programming model as Unix (real threads - not lots of processes), so sharing of socket descriptors between threads should not impose any problems.

This at least goes for the BOA versions of OmniORB, but I cannot see why introducing POA should impose more platform specific code!

If someone goes through with this before I can allocate time for it, I would greatly appriciate if the new OmniThread source were shared among OmniORB users...

Be aware though - introducing an ORB isn't exactly light weight (in the RTOS realm), so be sure you have the system resources (flash and RAM).

-Haarek-

--
Haarek Ryeng
Senior Software Development Engineer

   Embedded Computers & Realtime Professionals
             www.datarespons.no