[omniORB] 3.0.4 - HPUX 10.20 & GCC

Kevin Williams zak@supernova.org
Thu, 29 Nov 2001 11:22:20 -0500

First, yes...  I have built Python 2.1 using the HPUX native compiler (not
gcc) and followed the instructions in the README.hpux11 file to compile
python.o using aCC and to use aCC for linking.  Python appears to work
fine.

Upon editing mk/platforms/hppa_hpux_10.20.mk to use GCC instead of aCC, I
noticed what appears to be a recursive variable definition - COPTIONS is
assigned the value of $(COPTIONS).  I removed the recursive variable and
attempted a make export.  Here is the error I received:

 omniidl: ERROR!

 omniidl: Could not open IDL compiler module _omniidlmodule.so
 omniidl: Please make sure it is in directory
 /disk1/kevin/omniOrb-3.0.4/lib/hppa_hpux_10.20
 omniidl: (or set the PYTHONPATH environment variable)

 omniidl: (The error was `No module named _omniidl')

Here are the contents of that directory...

-rwxr-xr-x 1 kevin   users     42928 Nov 26 13:20 libomnithread.a
-rwxr-xr-x 1 kevin   users    200958 Nov 26 13:19 omnicpp

I'll also mention, my PYTHONPATH variable is set to
/usr/local/lib/python2.1 (the default install path for Python 2.1
and a path that worked fine for my Solaris build).  So, aparently I am
missing the _omniidlmodule.so library for some reason.  The problem is, I
can't figure out why and I can't figure out how to get it! <smile>

Any help would be appreciated.
--Kevin