[omniORB] _get_interface() on CORBA object

Mon, 26 Nov 2001 10:28:57 +0000

On Wednesday 21 November, Brecht Vermeulen wrote:

> Next step, we created with genior an IOR with an empty Repository ID,
> but the client still tries to contact the IR on its own with the lookup
> of an empty repo ID.
>
> Is there a particular reason why it is implemented like this in omniORB
> (that the server isn't contacted), I assume speed, but the last thing
> we've tried, shows that this isn't always correct although we agree that
> our example is special.

This has come up before. As far as I recall, the spec doesn't say
whether it should be the client or the server that contacts the IfR.
I think it probably is most sensible to contact the server first, but
I don't want to change it in omniORB 3.0.x, since people might be
relying on the current behaviour. I'll make it an option in omniORB 4,
defaulting to contacting the server.

It should be pretty easy to modify src/lib/omniORB2/dynamic/ir.cc to
contact the server.