[omniORB] [OmniNotify] ProxyPullSupplier::connect_pull_consumer wants non-nil parameter

Alexey Syomichev asyomichev@marketswitch.com
Sat, 24 Nov 2001 18:38:32 -0500

omniNotify 1.1 (pre-built) runs on Solaris 7 (SunOS 5.7);
Application runs on Windows NT and uses omniORB4 (snapshot from
11/02/2001);

I don't need a full-blown notification service, so I widen a
CosNotifyChannelAdmin::EventChannel reference to a
CosEventChannelAdmin::EventChannel one.
The problem arises on a consumer side (hybrid push/pull model) when I
try to invoke ProxyPullSupplier::connect_pull_consumer(nil). Passing a
nil argument to connect_pull_consumer() is acceptable according to the
Event Service specification, but omniNotify raises a BAD_PARAM. At the
other hand, when I pass an object reference to a live PullSupplier, it
works fine. I would be just happy to catch a Disconnected from
try_pull() rather than implement the PullSupplier.

The question is: whether such behavior is compliant to the Notification
Service specification or it is an omniNotify bug? Is there any
workaround on the omniNotify side to preserve usual for Event Service
behavior?
Can it be caused by core ORB version difference between a consumer and
EventChannel (omniNotify 1.1 is based on omniORB3)?

Thank you in advance.

--
Alexey Syomichev      email:  asyomichev@marketswitch.com
Marketswitch corp.    phone:  (571) 434 4355