[omniORB] Contacting the omniORB3 name server from Java2 CORBA

Bang, Steinar Steinar.bang@tandbergtv.com
Fri, 23 Nov 2001 15:36:54 +0100

Platform: Intel PIII, RedHat linux 7.2, gcc 2.96
	omniORB 3.0.2, Sun JDK 1.3.1

I am trying to contact the omniORB3 name server from
the built-in ORB of Java2.

The /etc/omniORB.cfg file contains the line:
	ORBInitRef NameService=corbaname::localhost

I have tried making Java2 connect to this server, with
the setting:
         props.setProperty("org.omg.CORBA.ORBInitRef.NameService",
                           "corbaname::localhost");
but that isn't sufficient to contact the name server,
it seems.
I get an orb.omg.CORBA.COMM_FAILURE exception when I try
to run
	orb.resolve_initial_reference("NameService");

Sun's INS tutorial
	<http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4/docs/guide/idl/INStutorial.html>
shows corbaname: examples with port names.

I have tried using "corbaname::localhost:8088" (a blind
guess, since the omniORB2 name server operated at that
port), but that didn't work any better.

All, hints, tips, guesses, etc. appreciated.

Have a nice weekend!

- Steinar

This email, its content and any attachments is PRIVATE AND CONFIDENTIAL to
TANDBERG Television. If received in error please notify the sender and
destroy the original message and attachments.