[omniORB] Migration to omniORB from Orbix

Rakshit Simha rsimha@orchestream.com
Wed, 21 Nov 2001 12:12:14 -0500

We are currently towards the tail end of such a migration - from Orbix
3.0.1 (BOA) to omniORB 2.8.0.  We are also migrating from OrbixNotification
3.0 to omniNotify 1.1 (w/omniORB 3.0.4).  I don't have any document as such,
but here are some observations (for above versions):

1. In general, omniORB seems to be more CORBA standards compliant than
   Orbix.  Specifically, there are fewer proprietary features.  If you
   are using anything in Orbix that is not nailed in place by the
   standard, pay special attention to it during the port.
2. There is no omniORB support for simulated exception environments.
3. There is no omniORB support for application specified, variable length
   object keys.
4. There is no orb daemon - so no orbixd functionality - out of the box.
   There is, however, a naming service daemon - omniNames.
5. omniORB allows system wide configuration file.
6. The omniORB and omniNotify example files are pretty good and can be used
   as reference implementations.
7. You have source code and this mailing list!!  So, if you have a question
   - why does this behave so-and-so? - search the list archives, post your
   question and, best of all, look at source code.

- Rak.