[omniORB] proxyObjectFactory for shared components

Renzo Tomaselli renzo.tomaselli@tecnotp.it
Tue, 20 Nov 2001 09:23:55 +0100

Hi all,
    sometime ago (see
http://www.uk.research.att.com/omniORB/archives/2001-07/0132.html) I raised
the issue of generated proxyObjectFactories not being distinguished when
contributed by different stubs in a single process. This prevents to deploy
large, component-oriented applications.
In short, when both the following conditions are met:

- there are components which are loaded/unloaded dynamically at runtime
(dll/shlib); and
- they share common stubs (e.i. they use common idl definitions for
interfaces),

then if any such component is unloaded at runtime then the application
crashes as soon as any involved interface is instantiated. This occurs since
the related proxyObjectFactory is unloaded from memory thus leaving a
dangling pointer around (in orbcore/proxyObjectFactory.cc).
While all of this is true for 3.04, I would like to know about 4.0: any plan
to fix this behavior or is there anything I might do for that ? (the basic
point is to keep track of factory indentities, so that their destructors
should remove the right one from the orb list).
Has anybody else been involved into this issue ?
Thanks,
                                             Renzo Tomaselli
TecnoTP s.n.c. Special Information System Design
Maso Pelauchi I38050 Ronchi Valsugana,  Trento TN  ITALY
Tel. +39 0461 773164      Fax. +39 0461 771514
e-mail: renzo.tomaselli@tecnotp.it