[omniORB] Problem with Naming Service between two networks

Brecht Vermeulen brecht.vermeulen@rug.ac.be
Fri, 16 Nov 2001 14:16:31 +0100

Hi all,

I've received a mail from Fred Cook about an old problem regarding the
use of the Naming Service from a network in another domain than the host
running the Naming Service (our problem was on Debian Linux).

The From: address he uses bounces, so I redirect this mail to the list
because maybe others could also benefit of the work arounds, or maybe
someone knows a real solution or the cause ?

regards,
Brecht

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [omniORB] Problem with Naming Service between two networks
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 22:29:42 +0100
From: Brecht Vermeulen <brecht.vermeulen@rug.ac.be>
To: Fred Cook <ftcook@directv.com>

Hi Fred,

We haven't found the reason of the problem but we've found some work
arounds :
in our setup, the 2 networks had different domain names, one is our
official one (.atlantis.rug.ac.be), the other is our test network
(.test) with 10. addresses. Our naming service runs on
orpheus.atlantis.rug.ac.be

a first work around (on Linux, but something similar is possible with
windows I think, file lmhosts ?) is putting the machine of the Naming
Service explicit in /etc/hosts
157.193.184.x	orpheus.atlantis.rug.ac.be	orpheus
(x is the real IP address of course)

another work around is putting atlantis.rug.ac.be in /etc/resolv.conf
(or in the Windows domain name resolution).

So the problem seems to raise because omniORB tries to look for orpheus
but doesn't find it because it has another domain name. As far as I know
however, omniORB is based on IP addresses instead of hostnames, so I
find it very confusing :-).

Hope this helps,
regards,
Brecht