[omniORB] Possible Empty wstring Unmarshall Bug

Ken Feuerman kfeuerma@adobe.com
Wed, 14 Nov 2001 10:10:08 -0800

We've discovered that omniORB 4 (snapshot from 12-Nov-2001) is throwing a
MARSHALL exception whenever the empty wstring is sent as an IN parameter
from the built in ORB with JDK1.4b3.  I've cranked up the omniORB trace
level to show the GIOP messages, and it looks like the JDK ORB is
marshalling the empty wstring by encoding a 0 length, followed by
nothing.  By contrast, it looks like omniORB 4 as a client is marshalling
the empty wstring by encoding a length of 2 octets, followed by a BOM
(which happens to be 0xfffe in my case).  (Using an omniORB 4 client does
NOT cause the servant to throw the MARSHALL exception.)

I think omniORB 4 should be allowing a 0 length for a wstring in this
case.  Thanks for your help with this!

--Ken Feuerman.
Adobe Systems, Inc.