[omniORB] omniORB/omniORBpy in same address space - any benefit?

Ivan Ivanov ivan.ivanov@trema.com
Tue, 13 Nov 2001 00:28:36 -0800

Hi folks,

omniORB and omniORBpy can be linked together in one
executable and live in the same process. They use the same
ORB instance however and one should not call orb.destroy()
from python code for example. Duncan Grisby gave the idea
how to do the same in c++:

//c++ code, good, avoids deadlock as python code is hooked on
// the orb->destroy function and tries to clean as well:
Py_BEGIN_ALLOW_THREADS
orb->destroy();
Py_END_ALLOW_THREADS

Now my issue is a quite general this time - is there
any performance benefit from binding together omniORB and
omniORBpy in the same address space.
The omniORBpy stubs/skeletons call invoke() in _omnipy -
they don't make use of local calls yet. It's even hard for me
to imagine how would they do so anyway.

Thanks for your suggestions,
Kind regards,
Ivan Ivanov