[omniORB] Packet fragment

Mon, 12 Nov 2001 11:04:11 +0000

On Monday 12 November, Francesco.Chicchiricco@nokia.com wrote:

> is there anyone who knows when omniORB starts fragmenting requests in many
> GIOP packages?
>
> I have a method with a variable size argument.
>
> Is there any difference in the number of generated GIOP packets if this
> argument is of 16 bytes or 1Kbyte?

I'm not sure you have asked the question you want the answer to. GIOP
1.2 allows GIOP messages to be fragmented. omniORB 3 and earlier only
support GIOP 1.0, so they never fragment messages. omniORB 4 _does_
support GIOP 1.2 and uses fragmentation. It fragments at arbitrary
boundaries that depend on exactly what kind of data you are
marshalling. I don't think a message as small as 1Kbyte would be
fragmented.

I suspect that what you really want to know is whether more than one
IP packet will be used for your message. That's totally out of
omniORB's hands. It's up to the TCP implementation in the operating
system. The chances are that messages as small as 1Kbyte will use a
single TCP packet, but there's no way to guarantee it.