AW: [omniORB] Performance monitoring

Grobarcik Peter Peter.Grobarcik@start.de
Tue, 6 Nov 2001 19:48:50 +0100

Hi,

[...]

> When we ramp up the volume of transactions on the system we will expect
> that
> things will start getting slower. But how to get positive identification
> of
> the bottlenecks so we know where to start fixing things?
That is VERY hard :-)

[...]

> (1) already something in the OmniORB code that will instrument the time
> each
> remote invocation takes, or:
I am standing before simmilair problem and I am considering to use the core
related to -ORBtraceInvocations in conjunction with a custom logger. There
was a discussion about the log code on the list a couple of days ago.

> (2) any suggestions as to where in the OmniORB code I should insert my own
> instrumentation code?
the logger - but I am not a expert

> And of course the usual other question:
>

> (3) If the above is nonsense what question should I have asked?
>
> Thanks
>
> Tim Ward
> Brett Ward Limited - www.brettward.co.uk

I our case there are also some other performance-critical points

1) max number of threads/processes is not endless on most OSs
2) The resources criticall for (distributed) DB
3) WAN problems: routers, bandwidth - a bad router and you have random
timeouts

Sorry for my bad grammar ...

By,

Peter