[omniORB] omniORB::log and omniORB::logger and syslog

Thu, 01 Nov 2001 10:15:01 +0000

On Monday 29 October, David Byron wrote:

> I'm also curious why both omniORB::log and omniORB::logger exist.
> omniORB::logger writes to a small memory buffer and then only calls
> fprintf(stderr) in its destructor.  omniORB::logger also doesn't
> fflush(stderr), but omniORB::log does.  This would make sense to me if
> omniORB::logger was used in places where time or swapping was a big
> consideration, perhaps because stderr was connected to a 9600 baud terminal.

omniORB::log only exists for historical reasons. If you look at the
omniORB 4 tree, you'll see that it's gone. omniORB::logger buffers its
output before writing it upon destruction so that output from
different threads doesn't overlap.

I think Michael Accetta's suggestion (and patch) of a hook function is
the best way to go. omniORB 4 has made some things more simple, and
complicated others. I'll add it to my list of things to think about
before release.