[omniORB] Re: omniORB3 with Borland C++ compiler

Wed, 23 May 2001 12:02:17 +0100

On Tuesday 22 May, mik@geosys.ru wrote:

We'll look into incorporating your Borland patches with the main
tree. No promises, though.

[...]
> No, at least with dynamic support. omniidl generates the stubs, but
> also produce the output:
> c:>omniidl -bcxx -Wbh=.hh -Wbs=SK.cc -Wba -Wbuse_quotes TimeBase.idl
> omniidl: Fatal error in C++ backend
> omniidl:
> omniidl: Long long type is not supported with -Wba in this release
>
> Is this really fatal, or the generated stubs can still be used?

It really is fatal. It's a bug in the C++ backend that it leaves the
part-generated stubs around after the error.

Unfortunately, long long can't be supported in Anys in omniORB 3.0.x
because of binary compatibility issues. Long long was added after
3.0.0 was released (3.0.1 I think). It's important that binaries
linked against 3.0.0 continue to work with 3.0.1 and above. Adding
long long support to Any would prevent this.

If you really need long long in Anys, it's not too hard to add it to
the 3.0 code. The easiest thing to do is look at the now-abandoned
omni3_1_develop branch in CVS. That contains support for long long in
Any which could be back-ported to 3.0. omniORB 4 will, of course,
support it too.