[omniORB] Handle count leak in Windows NT/2K

Bruce Visscher visschb@rjrt.com
Tue, 22 May 2001 16:19:31 -0400

Hello,

I have a bug in a server that seems to leak "handles" when runs on Windows 2K on omniORB 2.8.0.

I can reproduce the behavior by running eg3_impl.  If I modify eg3_clt.cc to repeat this code:

    CORBA::Object_var obj = getObjectReference(orb);
    hello(obj);

repeatedly in a loop then Performance Monitor shows the handle count for the eg3_impl process growing at a fairly rapid rate.  The
memory usage also is increasing.  I have tested this on Windows 2000 and Windows 2K.  I haven't yet tried omniORB 3.0.x.

By doing the resolve repeatedly we see the (original) server running in different threads (the number of threads fluxuates slightly
but remains small and bounded).  Without this: i.e., by reusing the same object reference and invoking the same method repeatedly,
we don't see a leak.

I have never seen this behaviour before nor do I see a problem when I do this on OpenVMS.

Has anyone ever seen anything like this?  Is there any hope that omniORB 3 addresses this?  Is this a valid test?

Bruce
--

Bruce Visscher                                        visschb@rjrt.com
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE:  This e-mail message, including any attachment(s), contains information that may be confidential, protected by the attorney-client or other legal privileges, and/or proprietary non-public information.  If you are not an intended recipient of this message or an authorized assistant to an intended recipient, please notify the sender by replying to this message and then delete it from your system.  Use, dissemination, distribution, or reproduction of this message and/or any of its attachments (if any) by unintended recipients is not authorized and may be unlawful.