[omniORB] Interface repository

Stephen Crawley crawley@dstc.edu.au
Fri, 18 May 2001 10:00:06 +1000

timd@macquarie.com.au said:
> Is the code in the patch being executed on the server, or the client?
> I would expect that the object reference would invoke a
> "_get_interface" method on the wire, and the code as shown would be
> executed on the server end of the connection. This way the interface
> repository is chosen by the server and not the client.

The CORBA spec does not require the client side ORB to ask the server
for the InterfaceDef object.  See section 4.3.1.1 of the CORBA 2.3 / 2.4
core spec.

Incidentally, does anyone else think that the description of the result
of 'get_interface()' is too vague?  It doesn't mention that the result
may be a nil InterfaceDef.  It doesn't say what relation a returned
InterfaceDef should have to the object's real type.  [For example, if I
called 'string_to_object()', would it be ok for the 'get_interface()'
call on the resulting object reference to give me an InterfaceDef for
::CORBA::Object?]

-- Steve