[omniORB] runtime type info without object

Stefan Seefeld seefeld@sympatico.ca
Tue, 08 May 2001 01:58:30 -0500

hi there,

I'd like to know whether I can compare two repoIDs
(i.e. find out whether they are related) without
an actual object. Here is the situation:

I maintain a plugin table with factory objects.
The factory know what type it generates (most-derived-type),
so I can query it. I'm now at a point where I want one
plugin to provide ab object of type 'B', where 'B' is derived
from 'A'. Is it possible to then make a query whether 'B' IS_A
'A' without an object of type 'B' or 'A' ? The problem is that
I want to generate an object from an appropriate factory, but
I don't want to keep a 'prototype' in each factory, just to be
able to perform the CORBA RTTI mechanism on it. Of course,
having to use a full fledged IR would be even worse...

Any help is highly appreciated !

Regards,	Stefan