[omniORB] Implementation repository ?

Gary D. Duzan gdd0@gte.com
Wed, 02 May 2001 15:48:55 -0400

In Message <IHELIEDOCGNCCECBLFIJOENMCAAA.jrlopez@visionadvance.com> ,
   =3D?iso-8859-1?Q?Joan_Ramon_L=3DF3pez_Gillu=3DE9?=3D <jrlopez@visionadv=
ance.com> wrote:

=3D>Hi Jason,
=3D>
=3D>Thanks for your prompt reply.
=3D>
=3D>I worked for a while with Orbix 2.3 and I imagine that OrbixDeamon act=
ed as
=3D>a kind implementation repository for it. The thing is that the interac=
tion
=3D>with the Orbix Deamon was embedded within the ORB: In Orbix, the conne=
ction
=3D>between client and server is always established through the Deamon. Co=
uld
=3D>you tell me how could I implement anything like that without modifying
=3D>omniORB itself?

   Sorry, I meant to mention before that omniORB has an example of
how to do the LOCATION_FORWARD in src/appl/omniMapper, which should
give you a place to start.

					Gary Duzan
					Verizon IT

=3D>Cheers
=3D>
=3D>Joan Ramon
=3D>
=3D>
=3D>___________________________________________
=3D>Joan Ramon L=F3pez Gillu=E9
=3D>Software Engineer
=3D>jrlopez@acm.org
=3D>
=3D>
=3D>
=3D>
=3D>-----Original Message-----
=3D>From: jnye@micro-optics.com [mailto:jnye@micro-optics.com]
=3D>Sent: mi=E9rcoles, 02 de mayo de 2001 21:03
=3D>
=3D>Joan,
=3D>
=3D>The implementation repository is something that the OMG recommends tha=
t ORB
=3D>vendors supply with their ORBs. The OMG purposfully does not put many
=3D>restrictions or specifications around the implementation repository be=
cause,
=3D>as the name suggests, it deals with implementations and not interfaces=
. An
=3D>implementation repository is usually tied very tightly to a specific
=3D>vendor's ORB, offering vendor specific features (fault tolerance featu=
res,
=3D>etc). Since the implementation repository never affects the client end=
 of
=3D>things, the OMG has pretty much left it up to vendors to implement. CO=
RBA
=3D>objects themselves need not know anything about an implementation repo=
sitory
=3D>-- the implementation repository refers to the CORBA objects, the obje=
cts
=3D>don't refer (knowingly) to the implementation repository.
=3D>
=3D>Hope this clarifies things a bit,
=3D>Jason.
=3D>
=3D>-----Original Message-----
=3D>From: owner-omniorb-list@uk.research.att.com
=3D>[mailto:owner-omniorb-list@uk.research.att.com]On Behalf Of Joan Ramon
=3D>L=F3pez Gillu=E9
=3D>Sent: Wednesday, May 02, 2001 3:50 PM
=3D>To: omniorb-list@uk.research.att.com
=3D>Subject: [omniORB] Implementation repository ?
=3D>
=3D>
=3D>Hi all,
=3D>
=3D>Does anybody know whether there's any implementation of a CORBA
=3D>Implementation Repository that works with omniORB?
=3D>
=3D>Coincidentally, I've been having a look at the CORBA services specs at=
 the
=3D>OMG site and I've found no reference to the Implementation Repository.=
 Has
=3D>the Life Cycle Service anything to do with the implementation reposito=
ry or
=3D>is it just that there's no spec yet?
=3D>
=3D>Cheers
=3D>
=3D>Joan Ramon