[omniORB] Internal seg fault

Mike Ladwig mike@twinpeaks.prc.com
Wed, 02 May 2001 12:45:41 -0400

Duncan Grisby wrote:

> On Tuesday 1 May, Mike Ladwig wrote:
>
>> I'm converting a codebase from OMNI 2.7 BOA to OMNI 3.03 POA on RH
>> Linux, and probably have messed something up, but not getting an
>> exception (the failing call is in a try {} catch (...) {} block) is
>> troubling.
>

> Are you using RH 7 by any chance?  The compiler which comes with 7.0
> is hopelessly broken. One of the ways in which it's broken is in its
> exception handling. It should work if you update all the compiler
> related packages. RH 7.1 might be better, I don't know.

I am using the RH7 2.96 series compilers (RH7.1 gcc-2.96-81), which
(other than the broken RH7 original) are better than any other gcc C++
compilers I've used.

I think I've tracked my problem down to a dependency in one of my other
libraries (Qt1.45) on an older version of libstdc++ (6.1-1).  This
dependency results in *both* the current libstdc++ (6.2-2) and the older
version being linked in and apparently causing the problem - if I build
without Qt things seem to work.

I'm going to try and rebuild Qt with the current library and see if that
really is the problem.

I'll follow up if it is...

> Cheers,
>
> Duncan.