[omniORB] New features request

Cary O'Brien cobrien@Radix.Net
Thu, 22 Mar 2001 10:21:42 -0500 (EST)

> Cary O'Brien <cobrien@Radix.Net> said:
>

> > Someone was asking about new features a while back.  I've
> > got two suggestions (in order of decreasing sanity) I'll
> > throw out.
> >
> > 1. Be able to specify the IP address that an ORB binds
> >    to.  If you have a host on multiple lans, you may want some
> >    services available from one lan and some services available
> >    from another lan.   I guess this would be per-orb, and would
> >    apply to both clients and servers.
> >
> > 2. Be able to somehow control the IP address that gets incorporated
> >    into the object reference that goes back to the client.  The goal
> >    would be to be able to return, say, a firewall IP address to external
> >    clients, and an internal IP address to local clients.
> >
> You can already do #2.  I can't remember the correct command line arguments.
> Something like -ORBInitialHost.  If you look through the OmniOrb
> documentation, you should find something about it there.

Correct, this is part of what I am after.  What I really want is
run-time control, so the service would appear to be at different IP
addresses depending on who is asking.

If I have feature #1, I can sort of do this statically by running a couple
of processes each bound to and replying from specific IP addresses, but
it would be nice to have a single servant that can handle accesses from
multiple ip addressing schemes.  (i.e. private vs public).

-- cary