[omniORB] Re: removing unnecessary entries from the log file ?

Stefan Radke stefan.radke@systemonic.de
Tue, 13 Mar 2001 18:06:42 +0100

Hello,

thank you for your reply. In fact, I meant that the objects no longer exist.
They remain logged in the log file, and the NamingContext's list() method
seems to return the list from the log file.

Is there any other way to find out, if an application is still registered with
the name service or not, without trying to obtain an object reference ?
How 'expensive' is it, to try, if an non-null object reference is returned by
the name service for resolve(objName) ?

Duncan Grisby schrieb:

> > When does omninames remove entries of 'dead' applications and/or objects
> > from the log file ?
>
> What do you mean by "dead"?  If you mean dead in the sense that the
> objects no longer exist, then the naming service never removes such
> objects. You have to do it yourself. The CORBA object model means
> that, in general, it is impossible to tell for certain when an object
> no longer exists. If you impose your own constraints of object life
> times, then it isn't hard to write a program which periodically clears
> the naming service.
>
> The processing of the log only removes redundant entries. If you
> bind an object with the name "foo", then rebind a different object to
> "foo", the log will contain two entries for "foo". The checkpointing
> just removes the first "foo" entry.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Duncan.
>
> --
>  -- Duncan Grisby  \  Research Engineer  --
>   -- AT&T Laboratories Cambridge          --
>    -- http://www.uk.research.att.com/~dpg1 --

Best regards, Stefan.