[omniORB] Server Performance

Mon, 12 Mar 2001 12:04:16 +0000

On Tuesday 27 February, "W. Eliot Kimber" wrote:

> We are building a multi-user system using OmniPy 1.3/OmniORB 3.x as the
> server ORB. We are having some performance issues that are almost
> certainly problems in our code, but I wanted to make sure we hadn't
> overlooked some obvious configuration option with OmniORB (for example,
> we only get 50% processor utilization regardless of the number of active
> client connections we make, which seems odd). I've gone through all the
> 3.0 docs looking for any performance tuning hints, and didn't find any,
> which suggests that there aren't any.

There aren't really any parameters you can tune in omniORB. The only
thing which might be relevant is the maxTcpConnectionPerServer
setting, which determines how many connections a client will open to a
particular server. Unless you have heavily multi-threaded clients,
that won't affect you.

Do you have a two processor machine by any chance?  Python has a
global interpreter lock, meaning that only one thread can run Python
code at any one time. That would explain your 50% processor
utilisation if you do a reasonable amount of work in Python.

Other than that, I don't have any good suggestions I'm afraid.