[omniORB] Mystery Failure of C++ Python Extension Module Doesn't Kill Server

W. Eliot Kimber eliot@isogen.com
Fri, 29 Jun 2001 17:16:37 -0500

I have a Python CORBA server using OmniORB.py that calls out to a C++
Python extension module. Sometimes this extension module fails, with no
exception getting back to my Python server code. However, this failure
does not kill the server. But, it as it happens this particular code is
synchronized using a Python lock, so when the extension method fails,
the lock is never released and subsequent calls to the server will block
on lock.acquire().

I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this type of failure and what sort
of things might cause it? The extension module is a 3rd-party
application, so I can't debug it directly, but when it fails, the only
evidence is a CORBA unknown exception on the client.

Thanks,

E.

W. Eliot Kimber | Lead Brain

1016 La Posada Dr. | Suite 240 | Austin TX  78752
    T 512.656.4139 |  F 512.419.1860 | eliot@isogen.com

w w w . d a t a c h a n n e l . c o m