[omniORB] Java and omniORB

Thu, 28 Jun 2001 10:49:40 +0100

On Wednesday 27 June, Carsten Kraus wrote:

> Earlier postings on this message board concluded that problem is related to
> a bug in Sun's Java implementation.
> (http://www.uk.research.att.com/omniORB/archives/2000-07/0024.html)
> Sun's Java ORB apparently gets confused if the object key's length is not a
> multiple of 4. Does this mean I have been lucky with the Solaris based
> server application and Applets will potentially fail to connect when
> deploying to other Solaris machines?

According to one of the follow-ups to the Java bug, the problem only
occurs if the server is on the same machine as the Java client. In
that situation, it assumes it must be talking to another Java ORB, and
makes invalid assumptions about the length of the object key. It isn't
that it's a multiple of 4 bytes -- it's that it's shorter than 12
bytes.

It's easy to hack omniNames to use a longer key than "NameService".
Look at line 385 of src/appl/omniNames/log.cc. If you change that,
then the INS will still magically work, since omniNames creates a
forwarding agent. It might be a good idea to make it a command line
option. I'll think about that.