[omniORB] Java and omniORB

Carsten Kraus carsten.kraus@linmor.com
Wed, 27 Jun 2001 17:23:34 -0400

Hi there,

sorry to bring this matter up again. I am currently trying to get a Java
Applet (JDK 1.3 or JDK 1.2) to communicate with omniORB 3.0.2 on Linux. When
using JDK 1.3, for example, the Applet runs into an
ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException while trying to resolve an initial reference
to the naming service.

Now, my server application has been running on different Solaris machines
and Applets never failed to connect to it. All the connection trouble
started when I compiled and ran the server application on a Linux box.

Earlier postings on this message board concluded that problem is related to
a bug in Sun's Java implementation.
(http://www.uk.research.att.com/omniORB/archives/2000-07/0024.html)
Sun's Java ORB apparently gets confused if the object key's length is not a
multiple of 4. Does this mean I have been lucky with the Solaris based
server application and Applets will potentially fail to connect when
deploying to other Solaris machines?

The suggested workaround seems to start using another Java ORB, like JacORB.
Is there a workaround that avoids using another Java ORB?

Many thanks in advance,
  Carsten