[omniORB] Sanity Check on Large Data Transfers

W. Eliot Kimber eliot@isogen.com
Thu, 14 Jun 2001 17:14:36 -0500

I now have my graph-as-structs transfer working. I can transfer a 3Meg
struct in about 5 seconds over a lightly-loaded 100BaseT network. That
seems like good performance to me. The client and server machines for
this test are reasonably fast PIII PCs.

This data reflects 5100 unique graph nodes and about 1 Meg of string
data for a total of about 3Meg of data over the wire (estimated by
turning down the message size until I get a COMM failure--I assume
that's telling me the size of the data being transfered).

My sanity check questions:

1. Is this good performance? Is there anything I could do in the ORB
configuration or in the way I've defined the structs to improve it?

2. What would people consider to be a safe maximum message size? For
this test, obviously I had to set the value to > 3Meg (I chose 10Meg as
a round number for my testing).

I'm not dependent necessarily on being able to always transmit large
data blocks--my underlying scheme supports client-driven chunk requests,
iterators, etc. I'm just trying to figure out what reasonable upper
limits are. The fact that I can transfer this much data in a reasonable
time means that sophisticated iterators might not be that high a
priority, but at the same time I don't want to leave my systems open to
either attack or unnecessary inefficiencies.

Thanks,

Eliot

W. Eliot Kimber | Lead Brain

1016 La Posada Dr. | Suite 240 | Austin TX  78752
    T 512.656.4139 |  F 512.419.1860 | eliot@isogen.com

w w w . d a t a c h a n n e l . c o m