[omniORB] Java 1.3 to omniORB

Thu, 14 Jun 2001 10:13:21 +0100

On Wednesday 13 June, "Michael J. Donahue" wrote:

> I've looked back at the archives, and need a little clarification about the
> Inter-Operable Naming Service (INS) problems that the Java 1.3 JDK has.
>
> First, I have the Sun bug report ID# 4351366, that states INS is not
> supported in 1.3 .  Also, I talked to an IBM tech, and he indicated
> that IBM's Java 1.3 JDK does not support INS either.

The problem with the JDK ORB is nothing to do with whether or not it
supports the interoperable naming service. The problem is that it
falls over when it meets the perfectly valid IOR from a Naming service
supporting the INS. All other pre-INS ORBs, omniORB 2 for example, are
quite happy with an INS IOR.

The problem is that the INS says that the root context of the Naming
service should have the object key "NameService". This has always been
a valid object key, and any ORB which rejects it is quite clearly
broken. The JDK ORB makes some invalid assumptions about the length of
an object key, and therefore gets an array out of bounds exception.

The fact that the Sun bug report claims it is not a bug shows that
they fundamentally fail to understand what the problem is.