[omniORB] Using CORBA for data transfer?

Matej Kenda matej.kenda@hermes.si
Tue, 12 Jun 2001 10:38:08 +0200

Hi,

Our team is evaluating CORBA as a framework for our application. We are all
quite new to CORBA. We figured out the interfaces for most of the
interactions among our components.

One of the crucial parts of our application is data transfer between two of
our objects. Data consists of files, enriched with some additional meta-data
and is generated by the object A and written to disk as-is by object B
(ftp-like). Data is packaged in data blocks, which size is defined at
run-time.

The simplified IDL should look something like:

struct dataBlock {
    long    size;
    char    data   // how to make this variable? (like char *data in C)
};

interface B {
    long writeBlock(inout dataBlock a_data);
}

Is there any way to accomplish this kind of functionality in CORBA? How big
is the potential performance impact?

TIA,

Matej

| Matej Kenda, Lead Engineer                 |
| HERMES SoftLab                             |
| Erjavceva 2, SI-5000 Nova Gorica, Slovenia |
| +386 1 5865 714, +386 5 3305 514           |
| http://www.hermes-softlab.com              |