[omniORB] Weekend CORBA blues #3: automatic ORB::run()

Bruce Fountain B_Fountain@motherwell.com.au
Mon, 11 Jun 2001 08:01:59 +0800

Hello all,

I made a rather startling observation last night. You don't need to call
ORB::run() to process incoming CORBA requests. Somehow omni works out that I
am a server and kicks off the request handling in another thread.

This seems to me to be quite extraordinarily clever, but I was wondering
if there are any gotchas associated with this behaviour. When does the run()
kick off? On CORBA::ORB_init()? When I activate the POA? If I call
ORB::run() does that mean that control of the request handling is passed
over to my thread?

Best regards,

Bruce Fountain
Mi Consulting Group (Australia) Pty Ltd