[omniORB] CORBA benefits over EJB model

Uche Ogbuji uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com
Fri, 08 Jun 2001 23:09:31 -0600

> While Python is not necessarily appropriate for all distributed
> applications, we have found it has allowed us to develop the first
> iteration of a working distributed system very quickly. Now we can
> iteratively re-implement components in C++ or Java as we need to to get
> the performance and security characteristics we need. But we have found
> that for relatively small scales (1-200 concurrent users) that our
> Python-based system is entirely acceptable (and we haven't yet squeezed
> out all the performance we can out of our Python code nor do we
> currently have the testing resources to determine the upper limit of our
> current scalability).

Odd.  I haven't found many cases where the Java code of equivalent
functionality is faster than Python.  Not even with Jikes.

When Python is too slow, we go straight to C or C++.  And like you we have
built some very sophisticated applications this way: many times more
productively than with C, C++ or Java (and I have a long history with all
three).

XML strategy, XML tools (http://4Suite.org), knowledge management