[omniORB] Localhost IP in IOR

Rene Schneider rene_schneider@isoftel.com
Fri, 8 Jun 2001 09:25:46 +0800

Thanx Matthew.
Exactly this was the problem. I just talked to my admin and he deleted
from /etc/hosts the line
=20
127.0.0.1 ahostname
=20
and added instead
=20
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx ahostname (the static IP address)
=20
After that OmniORB writes the correct IP into its IORs. Nice!
What I don't understand by now is, why other ORBs (i.e. TAO) didn't have
a problem on the original hosts file...
=20
Bye,
Rene.

-----Original Message-----
From: Matthew N. White [mailto:matthew.white@marconi.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 07, 2001 9:03 PM
To: Rene Schneider
Cc: omniorb-list@uk.research.att.com
Subject: Re: [omniORB] Localhost IP in IOR

I've had this problem before, and it resulted from an incorrect
/etc/hosts file containing:=20
127.0.0.1    ahostname=20

After correcting this, my problem was fixed.  I'm not positive, however,
the problem was with omniORB.=20

Matt=20

Rene Schneider wrote:=20

Hello,=20

although the problem seems quite simple to me, I didn't find anything in

the documentation:=20
I implemented a CORBA server with OmniORB which writes an IOR in a file.

This file is accessible to another CORBA client on a different machine.=20
Because the client didn't accept the IOR, I dumped the IOR and was very=20
suprised to see the following:=20

Repo Id:  IDL:Echo:1.0=20
IIOP Profile=20
Version:  1.0=20
Address:  127.0.0.1:1669=20
Key:  fe c7 01 1f 3b 00 00 18 b2 00 00 00 00 00       ....;.........=20

Thus, OmniORB wrote the localhost IP (127.0.0.1) to the CORBA server's=20
IOR, which, of course, is not acceptable in a distributed environment.=20
I've searched for a switch somewhere to force the insertion of the=20
correct IP address, but I wasn't successful in that.=20
Other ORBs I tried out on the server side behaved correctly. What went=20
wrong?=20

Thank you=20
Best regards,=20

Rene Schneider=20
System Analyst=20

iSoftel Ltd=20
9 Penang Road=20
#12-00 Park Mall=20
Singapore 238459=20
Tel: (65) 333 9888=20
Fax: (65) 333 7938=20
Website: www.isoftel.com=20

ENABLING TECHNOLOGIES FOR CARRIER SERVICES

--=20

Matthew N. White

Senior Verification Engineer

Marconi Networks