[omniORB] Newbie questions: Solaris/gcc, event service, library names

Bruce Fountain B_Fountain@motherwell.com.au
Tue, 5 Jun 2001 14:37:19 +0800

Hi guys,

I am evaluating omni as a replacement for our current CORBA
implementation. I think I have ticks in pretty much all of
my boxes, but I have a couple of outstanding questions:

* I don't see Solaris2.7/gcc on the list of supported platforms.
  Is this doable?

* Event service. Omni doesn't come with one apparently. What
  do people mostly do for events? Should I use the contributed
  omniEvents service (it is not clear how stable or well tested
  this is). Does omniEvents support multiple channels, ala
  ORBacus?

  Maybe I can use omniNotify, making use of the CosEvent
  compatibility? The webpage says this is still in beta, but a
  release was due in January.

* Is there some reason why the version numbers of the libraries
  are mangled into the filenames? eg omniORB303_rtd.dll. Not that
  it is a big deal, but it makes for a configuration issue when
  upgrading to a new version. Unix makefiles are okay, but NT
  project files... Can I just rename the libraries and DLLs?

Anyway, I want to thank everyone involved for making this code
publicly available. I find it to be remarkably "productised"
for an OpenSource effort.

Bruce Fountain
Mi Consulting Group (Australia) Pty Ltd
Direct Line:  +61 (0)8 9368 8607
Switchboard:  +61 (0)8 9368 8600
Facsimile:    +61 (0)8 9368 8699
E-mail: bruce.fountain@mi-services.com

This email and any files transmitted with it from Mi Services
Group may contain information which is
privileged, confidential and protected from disclosure.
If it is not addressed to you, please immediately contact
nzpostmaster@mi-services.com and do not use, disclose,
copy, distribute or retain any of it without our authority.