[omniORB] Wide string problems talking to Visibroker 4.5

Mon, 30 Jul 2001 09:59:17 +0100

On Monday 30 July, Stephen Crawley wrote:

> I just managed to prise the following information out of the VBJ Orb.
> It seems to think that the WString that OmniORB is sending is malformed.

[...]
> Sending exception to client: org.omg.CORBA.MARSHAL: Wstring not
> terminated by NUL char minor code: 0 completed: No

I haven't looked into exactly what's going on yet, but this complaint
seems to be the root of the problem. omniORB is not terminating the
wstring with a NUL char, because section 15.3.2.7 of the 2.4 spec
says:

  "For GIOP version 1.2, when encoding a wstring, always encode the
   length as the total number of octets used by the encoded value,
   regardless of whether the encoding is byte-oriented or not. _For
   GIOP 1.2 a wstring is not terminated by a NUL character._ ..."

It's possible that omniORB is doing something else wrong, and
Visibroker's error message is wrong, but I suspect (hope :-) ) it's a
Visibroker problem.