[omniORB] omniORB build enviroment

Bruce Visscher visschb@rjrt.com
Fri, 06 Jul 2001 17:59:39 -0400

Lars Immisch wrote:
> [...]
> Most people on NT would probably like MSVC project files, but having two build
> systems in parallel is a mess and highly unpractical unless you are using them
> yourself heavily.

MSVC project files become impractical for large systems.  Even Microsoft uses a
makefile system to support production.

Duncan wrote:

> Well, most people don't have GNU make by default, and the current
> makefiles require that. Some platforms (OpenVMS, for example) don't
> have make at all, and require something altogether different.

In fact, GNUmake has been ported to OpenVMS.  In the past, the biggest problem
wasn't GNUmake itself, but rather the lack of a UNIX like shell.

The good news is that Compaq is working on a COE project which will hopefully
make porting software to OpenVMS much easier.  Hopefully, when COE somes to
fruition, it might be possible to use GNUmake on VMS or maybe even autoconfig
and GNUmake.  (But I don't know what affect the Itanium announcement has on
this...)

OTOH, if Duncan would like to create a build tool in Python, I'd be all
for it.  I think Python would be an excellent choice for such a thing and I
would be glad to try it out on OpenVMS.  Only problem is that these kinds of
things tend to take on a life of their own...

Bruce
--

Bruce Visscher                                        visschb@rjrt.com
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE:  This e-mail message, including any attachment(s), contains information that may be confidential, protected by the attorney-client or other legal privileges, and/or proprietary non-public information.  If you are not an intended recipient of this message or an authorized assistant to an intended recipient, please notify the sender by replying to this message and then delete it from your system.  Use, dissemination, distribution, or reproduction of this message and/or any of its attachments (if any) by unintended recipients is not authorized and may be unlawful.