[omniORB] omniORB build enviroment

Fri, 06 Jul 2001 12:45:29 +0100

On Friday 6 July, Lars Immisch wrote:

> I'd like a realclean (or a veryclean) rule in every makefile to get
> rid of all dependency files.

make veryclean is already there in theory. It just doesn't quite
manage to clean everything...

> For NT and autoconf, a fairly typical approach is to supply a
> config.h.nt and a global.mk.nt or rather config.mk.nt and people on
> Windows have to copy them to config.h and config.mk instead of
> running configure.

It would be nice to avoid this step, and have a "configure" which
worked on all platforms, not just Unix. That's why I'm considering
other things.

The last time this discussion came up, people mentioned that one of
the things which encouraged them to port omniORB to exotic platforms
was that it _doesn't_ use autoconf.

> > 2. A configure stage to the existing build system

[...]
> Hmmm. Maybe I misunderstand things, but this is what autoconf would
> do. If you want a build system, you'd have to look into automake, I
> think.

This isn't the same as using autoconf, since autoconf assumes certain
things about the layout of makefiles. omniORB's current makefiles are
extremely complex, and would have to be totally redone to support
autoconf.

> > 3. A Python script which builds everything

[...]
> But you'd still need /bin/sort instead of sort.exe on Windows, wouldn't you?

No -- it's easy to implement a sort command in Python.