[omniORB] Books about omniORB?

Stefan Seefeld seefeld@sympatico.ca
Wed, 31 Jan 2001 12:53:25 -0500

Jian Deng wrote:

> Ralf Hupfer wrote:
>

> > Does anybody know whether there are books available covering
> > programming issues of CORBA in general and omniORB 3
> > specifically? The documentation provided is rather poor :-((
> >

> more less on that line:  is there a road map covering the upgrade from
> 2.8.0 to 3.0.2?  i just found out that 3.0.2's idl does not generate
> _sk_XXX classes, which was part of 2.8.0's.  am i missing something?

yes. One of the major changes from 2.8 to 3.0 was the introduction of POA
support. you can tell omniidl to create skeletons for the POA, or for the
BOA. While the old _sk_XXX skeletons are BOA specific (and therefor non-
portable), the new skeletons are called POA_XXX, which is part of the CORBA
specs. I.e. using the POA you can write portable software that compiles with
any ORB. Of course, there are lots of other points about POA vs. BOA. Read
about them in "Advanced CORBA programming with C++" by Henning and Vinoski.

To generate the old skeletons, you have to use

omniidl -bcxx -WbBOA

Regards,	Stefan