[omniORB] compile problems on Win32, NT4

Lars Immisch lars@ibp.de
Wed, 24 Jan 2001 00:18:36 +0100

Dear all,

I updated my cvs repository to the latest omni3_develop branch to see
whether it had the bugfix Sai-Lai mentioned earlier today.

I then tried to compile the latest version, but failed. During the make,
omniidl dumped core (figuratively). Just before it did, the message:

omnicpp: stdout: Bad file descriptor

appeared. The stack backtrace from Dev Studio pointed to
yy_get_next_buffer from idl.ll, but the line numbers seemed to be out of
sync

I then tried two things:

- I did a fresh checkout on the omni3_0_2 branch

- I removed my latest cygwin installation and replaced it with the minimal
gnuwin32 environment from
ftp://ftp.uk.research.att.compub/omniORB/gnu-win32-lite.zip. I removed all
cygwin registry entries and files before I installed that version.

Neither worked. omniidl keeps crashing at the same point and I am running
out of ideas.

In the past, I had compiled the omni3_0_2 branch successfully. Since then,
I have updated my cygwin environment to the latest version, but I went
back to an older version to eliminate that discrepancy.

<nofill>
I would appreciate any comments.

On a side note, I have problems with 'make clean' when run from $OMNI_ROOT/src.

make clean does not finish. It complains in src/lib/omniORB2/orbcore/debug:
'No rule to make target 'clean'. Stop.'

Thanks,

Lars</nofill>