[omniORB] Can't connect to server when launched from Linux?!?

Sai-Lai Lo S.Lo@uk.research.att.com
22 Jan 2001 11:00:23 +0000

This is another frequently encountered problem with recent redhat
installations. I don't know if other installations do the same. IMO, it is
not how one should configure a networked machine.

Redhat always put something like this in your /etc/hosts:

127.0.0.1    foo localhost.localdomain localhost

This is ok if yours is a home machine with just a dialup interface.
But on a networked machine, if you have that entry and one do a name to
address lookup for "foo", what you get is 127.0.0.1. In other words, one
cannot find out what the real IP address of your host is.

By default, omniORB always try to use the IP address, instead of the
hostname in the IORs it gives out. So it uses host to address lookup.
And it gets 127.0.0.1. Being a local loopback network interface, the
address obviously cannot work on other machines.

The solution is either:

1. Remove "foo" from the /etc/hosts, (PREFERRED)
2. Start your server with this ORB option:
      $./eg2_impl -ORBpoa_iiop_name_port "foo"

Regards,

Sai-Lai

--
Sai-Lai Lo                                   S.Lo@uk.research.att.com