[omniORB] omniORB 3.0.x

Roger Barnett rogerb@harlequin.co.uk
Thu, 11 Jan 2001 10:29:48 +0000

>From: Daniel Popowich [mailto:popowich@chiliad.com]
>
>The problem folk are having is this: java passes by reference, so to
>express java in IDL required a new IDL type: valuetype. This allows
>passing objects by value.  Think of it as a struct with methods, or an
>interface with data.  The irony is that no other orb other than Sun's
>jdk (that I know of) support the new IDL types.  So, it will be great,
>someday.

Err no, the problem is that people are trying to express Java in IDL
- reverse engineering is never easy !

One good reason for ORB implementors being slow to support the whole
objects-by-value thing is that the spec has been through some fairly
major revisions (at least twice, IIRC) to try and get it "right". IMO
this was largely because until the shape of CORBA Component support
was finally decided there was no clear justification for introducing
such a language-specific carbuncle onto the OMA and into OMG IDL.

This is also why some of the more complex (and expensive) commercial
products have now implemented obv - its part of their EJB/"portal"
strategy.

Roger Barnett