[omniORB] omniORB 3.0.x

Ben Miller Ben.Miller@Mercia.Com
Thu, 11 Jan 2001 09:58:14 -0000

Er, snap (only I joined yesterday!)...

-----Original Message-----
From: Daniel Popowich [mailto:popowich@chiliad.com]
Sent: 10 January 2001 21:51
To: Jeff Schnitzer
Cc: popowich@chiliad.com; omniorb-list
Subject: RE: [omniORB] omniORB 3.0.x

Jeff Schnitzer writes:
> I'm in the exact same situation; in fact, I subscribed to this list
two
> days ago because I'm trying to figure out how to use RMI-IIOP to
talk to
> a C++ server object.

Funny.  I joined the list a few weeks ago for the same reason.

> Unfortunately I need to be able to burst an array of structures
across
> the wire on a single remote call, so I (apparently) need valuetypes.
> I'm bewildered that CORBA had no standard way to send structs until
so
> recently; Microsoft has had structs in the DCOM IDL for years.

You *can* do this with CORBA (a sequence of structs) and always have
been able to, it's just that rmic maps java objects to valuetypes.

> I'm going to be taking a look at Orbacus (http://www.ooc.com/ob/)
next;
> it claims to support valuetypes.  It's a commercial product but
> supposedly free for noncommercial use.  I believe there are other
> commercial ORBs which support valuetypes, but they get pretty
expensive.

If you come up with something, please post it.

-d
Mercia Software Ltd.
Mercia House
Ashted Lock