[omniORB] omniORB 3.0.x

Ben Miller Ben.Miller@Mercia.Com
Wed, 10 Jan 2001 17:52:40 -0000

Okay.  Yes, sorry, I do mean valuetype!

In that case, can I use omniORB3 with RMI over IIOP?  I've seen some
discussion on this list previously that suggested that this could be
done (http://www.uk.research.att.com/omniORB/archives/2001-01/ - Re:
[omniORB] RMI over IIOP).  However, the RMI-IIOP discussion on Sun's
web-site
(http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.3/docs/guide/rmi-iiop/rmi_iiop_pg.html#Wha
tIs) says:

"RMI-IIOP will interoperate with other ORBS that support the CORBA 2.3
specification. It will not interoperate with older ORBs, because these
are unable to handle the IIOP encodings for Objects By Value. This
support is needed to send RMI value classes (including strings) over
IIOP."

So I'm a bit confused as to whether the two will co-operate or not.
Is it the case that I will have to be careful not to try to manipulate
any non-IDL-native types in my interfaces?

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Cheers,
Ben