[omniORB] side-effect when setting trace level ?

Roger Barnett rogerb@harlequin.co.uk
Wed, 3 Jan 2001 10:38:11 +0000

Hi all. I'm trying to track down the cause of a problem and I was
wondering if there any known side-effects when setting the trace
detail level using the -ORBtraceLevel command line option ?

I'm using omniORB 2.8 running on NT 4 (SP5), and the process in
question does the following:
- lookup a name in Name Server
- if found and associated obj ref not nil
  - invoke operation on obj ref (via DII if that matters)
  - if op returns ok then mark obj as "live"
  - else catch any exceptions
- if obj not live
  - create new obj and rebind entry in NS

What happened is that the process hung waiting for the operation to
complete, so I restarted it with -ORBtraceLevel 25 ; this showed that
the hang was "real" in that the ORB was sitting there happily recovering
connections over time. So I restarted it again with -ORBtraceLevel 50
to get more detail; this time there was no hang and the process ran ok.
After this, of course, the process could be restarted at any trace level.

So, is this a clue to the cause of the problem, a different problem, or
the proverbial herring ?

TIA

Roger Barnett