[omniORB] Can I start my Servant at a given port?

Cary O'Brien cobrien@Radix.Net
Thu, 22 Feb 2001 07:49:45 -0500 (EST)

> I would like to start a servant on a web server where there are a lot of
> CGIs accessing it in omniORB 2.8. I do not want to put its reference
> into the NameServer to lessen its burden and to solve the question
> locally.
>
> Is there a solution other than putting its stringified IOR into a file
> and reading it up by CGIs?
>
> Something like resolve_initial_references would be very great.

[waves hand in the air]  I know!

See the section in the documentation about the corbaloc naming
scheme in the "Interoperable Naming Service" chapter (Chapter 4).

You need to:
	use -ORBpoa_iiop_port <port no.> on the command line to specify the port
	use the boa called "omniINSPOA"  (see section 4.5)
	use create_object_with_id() to give the object a human-readable object key

Then you can use
	corbaloc::hostname:portno/object_key to access the server

1) I hope I didn't miss anything.  (But i did get this to work)
2) Does using omniINSPOA prevent use of other POAs in the server process?

Hope this helps..

-- cary